Saturday 12 May 2007

Generation 1 - Growing Family

1, Victoria Street,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dear Mama,

Thank you for your last letter and especially for the gooseberry pie recipe. The pie was a great success and even Harold asked for more. My last pregnancy was much easier then the first and Harold was delighted to have a second son. We have called him William after Harold's grandfather.



As you know I wished very much for a daughter. But William is a darling and Harold says that he is almost as beautiful as his Mama *blushes*.




William's Birthday



Mother and Son

William was an easy baby or maybe I am finally learning how to be a good mother? However, he was more trouble as a toddler. We had one particular scare when he was teething...



William has "Teething" Problems (note the chin)

Harold is doing very well in his job he has been promoted a number of times. We finally had enough money to add a small extension to the house. The kitchen is now a little larger and we have a second bedroom upstairs for Harry. For a while, Harold had to sleep on the settle because we did not have enough beds for our growing family.



Finally, I will leave you with some good news - I am pregnant again. I am praying for a girl.

Please give my love to Papa and the girls.

Your loving daughter,

Doris.

****** / ******

1, Victoria Street,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dearest Sister,

Congratulations on your recent betrothal. I am very excited for you and pray that you will be as happy in your marriage as I have been in mine. Your Albert sounds like a very kind and handsome man. I am sure that he will take good care of you. Now, onto my news. My third pregnancy was not so easy. William was a demanding toddler and it was difficult to cope with two sons, a husband and yet another pregancy. I sometimes wish that we could afford help at home but I know that a dutiful wife shouldn't complain.

I was relieved when the last day of my pregnancy arrived. But most surprised when I was told that I was having two babies!! My first was another boy, George, and then at last a girl! We have called her Victoria in honour of our good Queen.



The Twins are Born

It was difficult looking after twins and sometimes I fell behind with the housework.



I have also started a small vegetable garden which takes time to look after. Mama sent me some tomato seeds but I'm not sure that my tomatoes are going to turn out as tasty as Mama's.



My two oldest boys are growing up fast. Harry is now a teenager and hopes to follow his father into Business. Luckily, William is still young enough to help his Mama around the house. Harold insists that as soon as the boys turn thirteen, they become men and start work. This also means that they cannot help me around the home as it is not suitable for a man to be doing woman's work. I love and respect Harold but sometimes wonder whether women might have just a little more freedom.

One of my hardest tasks, is keeping enough food on the table. The boys all have healthy appetites and mealtimes are lively.



I must finish now, dear sister. Please forgive my complaining, I am blessed to have 4 beautiful children and a husband that cares for me. And I must remember that.

I wish you every happiness as you start out in your new marriage.

Your dear and loving sister,

Doris.


Contents Next

7 comments:

ASimWen said...

Such authenticy! I love it. :) I especially notice the dining room table. The doily in the middle with the hinges on the ends. GAH. Love it. I have this blog bookmarked.

Bubbs said...

I am loving this blog! Yeah! She has her daughter. The pictures are great and the ongoing theme works perfectly. Great job! I can't wait to watch little Victoria grow up. :)

Kerry said...

I'm enjoying this so much, and looking forward to what will happen when her little girl takes over. I wonder if Doris will be supportive of her daughter's increased opportunities, or if she'll be more conservative as she ages. Great job with this story!

Roo said...

I love the feel of this challenge, you portray it so well and the clothes and the house and everything in it is so .... well, perfect!
Yeah a daughter! thanks the lucky stars! whew 4 kids.. the poor thing has 3 boys?! Ouch!!!
congrats with your future heiress!

Twoyys4me said...

Another great update. Twins as well! my goodness that's a full household in those hard times. :)
Congrats on getting Victoria, I can't wait to see more.

hyperweather said...

Absolutely love it!! I definitely bookmarked it.

Ziese52 said...

Yippee, a girl at last!!!! Man alive though two kids already and then twins that she has to care for alone! And she decided to start a garden now!?!? Great job!