Saturday 2 June 2007

Generation 1 - Finding a Husband

1, Victoria Street,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dear Mama,

I hope that this letter finds you happy and well. You gave us all such a fright with your last illness and I pray for your good health. Now I must tell you all my Family News. The children are growing up quickly. The twins are the best of friends and sometimes a little boisterous.




George Playing in the Kitchen





George and Victoria Playing as Teens


I worry that Victoria is influenced by her brothers and is not learning lady like manners. Yet it warms my heart to see how close George and Victoria are. George is playful but protective towards his twin sister and I am certain that he will always look out for her after Harold and I have gone.

I was sorry that you could not join our party to the Great Exhibition. It was quite fascinating and Victoria especially took a great interest in the Scientific Exhibits.




Victoria Tries the Money Machine



George is Energized




Harold Examines a Weather Machine



Victoria begged her father to acquire one of the machines for our home. However, Harold was quite shocked and admonished Victoria for her improper interest in Scientific Matters. Of couse, Harold is correct. But Mama, I wish you could have seen some of the Machines on display. The Exhibition was magnificent.

I must finish here, dear Mama. We are expecting the Merchant boys for dinner and I must begin preparations. Please write soon and give my love to Papa.

Your loving daughter,

Doris.


****** / ******


1, Victoria Street,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

My dearest Sister,

Wasn't the Great Exhibition wonderful? All those amazing machines. I only wish that we could have taken some of them home. Just imagine how much easier life would be with one of those Energizers. Perhaps our children will grow up to benefit from all of these new inventions? Although, I was ever so embarrassed when the twins became a little too playful in public.





George and Victoria Earn a Disapproving Glare


But I suppose times are changing and young people behave quite differently to the way we were bought up.


Now, I must tell you more about the Merchant boys. As you know Harold and I find them quite enchanting, if a little unconventional. Just a few months ago, one of the boys fell asleep at the Dinner Table. Well, I had no idea what to do and so at Harold's urging I left him to sleep. And would you believe it - he was still fast asleep at breakfast time!



George Merchant Sleeps after Dinner



The Following Morning


George Wakes and Finishes his Dinner

It was dreadfully amusing. Although I think Harold was a little taken aback and he now views George Merchant in a less favorable light. I am certain that he hopes to marry Victoria to one of the Merchant boys. He insists that it is our duty to find Victoria a good husband. Unfortunately, Victoria does not show the slightest interest in finding a husband. She says that it is now quite acceptable for a young girl to take a job and choose her own husband. Her father is furious and refused to speak to Victoria for two days. Oh how I wish that Harold wasn't quite so old fashioned. And the Merchants are such charming and handsome young men. If only Victoria would fall in love with one of them and then the whole problem would be resolved.

Well, I think that is enough musings from me. Please write soon and tell me all your news.

Your Dear Sister,


Doris.


****** / ******

1, Victoria Street,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

My dearest Sister,

I will keep this letter brief as I have much to do. However, I simply must share my news with you. Victoria and George are both preparing to fly the nest. I am saddened yet so proud of them both. George is to join the army. He leaves immediately for the Black Sea - they say that war is brewing in the Crimea. For a long time, Victoria insisted that she would follow him. She was determined to become a nurse, just like Florence Nightingale. I know that Miss Nightingale is very brave and comes from a most respectable family. But I confess that I sided with Harold when he forbade her to leave. It would break my heart to have my only daughter experience the horrors of war. I thought that Victoria and her father were on the verge of another Great Row but then Victoira had a complete change of heart. And I am certain that I know why - the new light in her eyes and spring in her step can mean only one thing.






Victoria is in love!

I am not sure who her new suitor might be. Certainly, our neighbours are taking a keen interest now that Victoria is growing up.




Victoria and Earnest



Victoria and Michael



Victoria and George


However, you can be assured that I will write you as soon as I find out more.

Your loving sister,

Doris.

Contents Next

5 comments:

ASimWen said...

Woo-hoo! Victoria is getting ready to leave home. I like how she is standing up to her father, and how furious he is. :) The Merchant boys, eh? Naw, she can find better. :)

Kerry said...

It will be interesting to see who Victoria has chosen. I hope that George survives his time in the Crimea, too. I loved, loved, loved, your "exhibition" photos--what a wonderful idea. Those machines always do look quite Victorian!

Twoyys4me said...

oh you've left it on a cliffhanger! We need to know who Victoria loves!
Great idea the exhibition- love the boisterous twins!

Roo said...

well done! Oh who will it be? Thankfully George grew up well, he's much more handsome now that his face isn't smushed in some spoiled salmon *giggle*

Ziese52 said...

I wonder who Victoria will choose!?!? I loved the scientific exhibition. You're so creative.