Sunday 9 September 2007

Generation 3 - Coping Alone

TELEGRAM


I DEEPLY REGRET TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUR HUSBAND, LIEUTENANT KOREY BEAR, DIED JANUARY 3RD, 1945 IN THE PERFORMANCE OF HIS DUTY AND SERVICE OF HIS COUNTRY. PLEASE ACCEPT MY HEARTFELT SYMPATHY FOR YOUR LOSS.

-------- *** --------

The following letter was sent some years after Emma received the telegram informing her of her husband’s death.

-------- *** --------

1, New Court,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dear Mummy,

It was such a relief to have you safely home after the War in Europe ended.



Emma and Victoria

I went to pieces when I received news of Korey’s death. It was so unfair. How could I lose a brother and a husband in two separate wars? But the women’s groups have helped. There are many women who have lost sons, brothers and husbands. I’m not alone.



Emma Grieves for Korey

At least I still have Louise, who is growing up rapidly. She’s now a young lady, although I still wonder when she will start behaving like one.





Louise Becomes a Teen

It’s good for Louise to have more family around her. Her innocent face belies her rebellious nature and I worry about her future. I think she responds well to you and listens to your advice.



Louise and Victoria

Louise will be leaving for University soon. I’ll miss her and it will be lonely at home all on my own.

Please give my love to Earnest and visit soon.

All my love,

Emma.

-------- *** --------

1, New Court,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dear Louise,

I hope you’ve settled into university life. It was difficult to wave goodbye last week but I’m excited that you’re starting a new life.



Louise Leaves for University

I have some sad news. Grandma passed away in her sleep last night. As you know, it was not unexpected. Since losing Earnest last year, she has been fading fast. I know you had grown close to Grandma and will miss her. The funeral service will be next Saturday and I hope you will be able to come home in time.

I will keep this short. But don’t forget I love you very much and am always here for you.

With all my love,

Mummy.

-------- *** --------

1, New Court,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dear Louise,

I am sorry you couldn’t make it home for Grandma’s funeral. But I understand how busy and exciting your new life must be. You also missed my birthday the other day. Yes, your mother is now officially an old lady!





Emma Grows Older

I saw your University in the papers this weekend. There was a special article about this new Rock ‘n Roll Music and the effect it’s having on young people. I even spotted you in some of the pictures.



Emma at University

Please write soon. I’d love to hear about your studies and your new friends. It’s been a long time since I heard from you.

With all my love,

Mummy.

-------- *** --------

1, New Court,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dear Louise,

I just received your note and of course you can come home next week. But I don’t understand why you’re leaving half-way through the semester. However, I expect I will hear all when I see you.

Have a safe journey and see you next week.

All my Love,

Mummy.



Emma Arrives Home from University

-------- *** --------


Contents Next

7 comments:

MizzJulez said...

Uhh.. I'm really looking forward to seeing why she left college.. pregnant..? Found husband.? hmm, I'll keep on thinking.. :D

Unknown said...

so sad about Korey, one of my great-uncles died in ww2 and both my grandfathers served in the war.

Kerry said...

Hmmm, Emma, you're a wild one--

Kerry said...

Oops, I meant Louise.

SpongebobTanu said...

I just started reading your blog and I have to say it is very interesting. Telling the story through letters is very unique and enjoyable to read.

ASimWen said...

I missed an entry?? GAD... I loved this comment:

"I saw your University in the papers this weekend. There was a special article about this new Rock ‘n Roll Music and the effect it’s having on young people. I even spotted you in some of the pictures."

Heh, funny to think back on the years when rock and roll was believed to be the music of the devil. lol

Ziese52 said...

Not Korey too! So not far!

this new Rock 'n Roll music! Funny! Looks like Louise had a good time in college. Who is this man she is seen in the car with?