Friday 24 August 2007

Generation 3 - Career and Children

1, New Court,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dear Mummy,

I have wonderful news! Do you remember I told you about my friend who worked in politics? Well, I took the job she mentioned and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Our candidate won his election and I received a special mention for my campaigning efforts. Well, since then I’ve been working tirelessly in the political arena.


Emma on the Campaign Trail

And my efforts have finally paid off. Last week, I was elected Mayor of Homelands, the first woman mayor in England.

Emma becomes Mayor

Now Women’s Rights have truly come a long way. I have so many exciting ideas for our Town and especially for the Rights of Women.


Emma Prepares another Political Speech

Goodness, I am going on. But before I finish, I want to thank you Mummy for all your support. Without your encouragement, I would never have had the courage to follow my dreams.

Please write soon and send my love to Earnest.

All my love,

Emma.

-------- *** --------


1, New Court,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dear Mummy,

When are you coming home? You and Earnest have been away for years and there are rumours of War again. Please, I beg you, come home while it’s still safe. Also, there is another reason for you to return home… You’re going to be a Grandma!


Emma is Pregnant

Pregnancy is difficult, but I remembered great Grandma’s tip and meditation certainly helps me through the bad times.


Emma Meditates

Well, I must go now. I have an appointment at the hospital and Korey is waiting for me.


I hope you come home soon.

All my love,

Emma.


-------- *** --------


1, New Court,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dear Mummy,

I was relieved to receive your last letter; it’s been such a long time since we heard from you. I miss you greatly, but of course you can’t travel until Earnest’s condition improves. Besides, now that War has broken out it will be near impossible to travel across Europe. You’re much safer staying where you are.

Now, I am sure you’re itching to hear my family news. Louise is doing well - I can hardly believe she is already 6 months old.






Emma and Louise

However, I have some bad news. I did not want to tell you but I’ve been forced to step down as Mayor. As soon as the council heard about my pregnancy, they demanded that I relinquish my position. It would seem that women don’t quite have equal rights with men. At least not once we become mothers. Of course, I argued, but there was little I could do.

And in honour of my new position as mother and housewife, I have updated my look. I know how you hated my twenties bob and so I’m sure you’ll be happy with the results.


Emma’s New Look

You asked about Korey. Yes – he has been called up and he reports for duty next week. We had thought he would not be drafted due to his age but when his papers arrived, Korey was determined to do his duty by the country. After losing my big brother during the last war, I fear the same will happen to my husband in this new war. Please pray for us both.

I hope Earnest recovers soon. I look forward to your next letter and hearing how life is with you.

All my Love,

Emma.


-------- *** --------

1, New Court,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.


Dear Mummy,

Will this War never end? The rationing at home has become impossible. And with so many men away at war, more and more women are returning to work. In fact, I decided it was time to contribute and have joined the Women’s Auxillary Air Force. I work at the nearby air base and my duties are varied. It’s exciting work and I am glad to being doing my part for the war effort.


Emma Leaves for her new Job

It is difficult for Louise growing up without her father. Korey has only been home once and he’s become a stranger to Louise. It can be lonely at home with just the two of us.

Emma and Louise


I am also concerned about Lousie’s behaviour - she is growing a little wild. She needs a father’s discipline, or perhaps I am away from home too much. Whatever the problem she is continually getting into trouble and was nearly expelled from her new Private School. I have to stand over her to make sure she completes her homework.




Louise Doing her Homework


The women of our family have always been strong-willed. But I fear that Louise will one day take things a step too far. But perhaps I worry too much.

Well, that is all my news. Please write soon and give my love to Earnest.

Much Love,

Emma.



Contents Next

4 comments:

ASimWen said...

Wonderful as always...ahhh. Louise wild? I see the next generation is going to be as strong willed as the three before her!

Kerry said...

Interesting! Emma became such a strong, practical woman, but Louise sounds like a handful. I hope Korey makes it home safely from the war in time to guide Louise through adolescence.

I love Emma's and Louise's hair--it looks perfect for the 40's.

Infinity-Nevermore said...

I finally got around to reading. Boo for Emma getting fired. Yay for Louise! I do hope Korey gets back safely. And yes, all of those women are strong-willed; it was far-fetched to think Louise wouldn't be.

Ziese52 said...

I hope Korey returns home safely. Louise is wild huh? Approriate I say for gen 4. I love all the details