Saturday 18 August 2007

Generation 3 - Goodbye Edward

1, New Court,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dear Mummy,

Have you heard from Edward? I am worried, the War ended over a month ago and still no word from him. Uncle George arrived home last week but he had no news from Edward. It seems like only yesterday that we said our goodbyes and Edward left for war.







Edward Leaves for War

Pleas write immediately you receive word from him.

I am sorry I didn’t tell you about the Professor. I was terribly worried that you wouldn’t approve of my “older man”. Edward kept teasing me; saying you would never understand. You were certainly shocked when I told you about our engagement.






Emma tells Victoria about the Professor

And I sometimes sense Grandmama is watching us with a disapproving eye.





Emma and Korey are Watched

But I should have known you would be wonderful once you became used to the idea. And isn’t the Professor a darling? Here’re some pictures from our wedding day.










Emma and Korey Get Married


Now to your news. I think it's wonderful that you’re following your dream and travelling the world. I am so excited for you and Earnest. You must faithfully promise to write every month and I will do the same. I know your itinerary and so I can always send my letters to your next lodging.






Victoria and Earnest Depart

Well I must finish here. I have a political meeting to attend and Emmeline Pankhurst is visiting as guest speaker. Now the War is over we’re all working hard to ensure renewed commitment to the Women’s Vote.

With much love,

Emma.


-------- *** --------


TELEGRAM


I DEEPLY REGRET TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUR SON, CORPORAL EDWARD GEORGE ROSELAND, DIED AUGUST 1, 1918 OF WOUNDS RECEIVED IN ACTION AT REIMS, IN THE PERFORMANCE OF HIS DUTY AND SERVICE OF HIS COUNTRY. PLEASE ACCEPT MY HEARTFELT SYMPATHY.



-------- *** --------


1, New Court,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dear Mummy,

Thank you for your last letter. Italy sounds fascinating, I long to visit Venice and Rome and see all the sites you describe. I am glad you and Earnest have resumed your travels. It has been more than 10 years since Edward left us and he would wish us all to go on with our lives.

Now let me tell you our news.





Emma Writes Her Letters

As I’m sure you’ve read in the newspapers, it has been a special month back home. Women finally have equal voting rights with men! It is a wonderful achievement but also an anticlimax. The women’s suffrage movement gave me a reason to campaign. Now we’ve achieved our aims, what to do? Korey is pressing me to have children and I won't deny my body clock is ticking. But somehow I feel I have missed out on a glittering career. I remember when I was a little girl, how you used to talk about your dreams of being a Great Scientist. Then when I won my place at university, you were so proud of me. And what have I made of myself? Assistant teacher and ex-political campaigner.

Forgive me, Mummy. I don’t mean to go on. Korey and I am happy, I love my job and we have a beautiful new home.





Emma’s House

Although, one of my suffragette friends has asked me to help her campaign for a new prospective Member of Parliament. She says I have a gift for speaking and would be a great asset to his campaign. Perhaps I will accept the job, I am sure I would enjoy the challenge.

Please give my love to Earnest and write soon. I look forward to hearing all about your latest travels.

All my Love,

Emma.


Contents Next



-------- *** --------

[Acknowledgements: Thank you Jen for The Gladstone Emma's new home.]

[Histroical Note: In 1928, the voting age for women in the United Kingdom was lowered to 21 to place women voters on an equal footing with male voters.]

5 comments:

Infinity-Nevermore said...

Wonderful that Emma was able to help with the women's suffrage movement. I'm glad that Victoria and Earnest are traveling the world. Best way to spend your retirement years.
Too bad about Edward. Makes me sad.

ASimWen said...

Oohh I love how you have integrated the history in this story. Wonderful! Will miss Edward. What a handsome man!

Kerry said...

Oh, poor Edward. I literally got a chill when I saw the telegram. But I'm glad George made it through the war. I wonder what's in store for Emma next? She has to have a daughter, right? But campaigning seems right up her alley. I look forward to the next installment!

Willow said...

Very well written story, and I'm so impressed with how you're integrating the history (and giving us readers a lesson in the process). So sad to see the telegram of Edward's death. I'm looking forward to see what Emma decides to do with her life.

Ziese52 said...

I love how Emma helped women get the right to vote. Very nice update. Poor Edward.