Wednesday 15 August 2007

Generation 2 - Second Love

1, Victoria Street,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dear Emma,

It was wonderful to receive your last letter. I am so proud of you for winning a place at University. Who would believe that a girl in our family would study at one of the finest academic establishments in England? Oh I must not go on, please forgive your doting mother. I am simply very happy for you and hope that you achieve all your dreams.




Victoria Writing her Letters

Now what is this I hear about your joining a women’s suffrage group? Yes, Edward has written and told me all. Now don’t be angry with your brother. He is only concerned about your safety. I promise not to interfere with your actions. As you know I sympathise with the suffragettes and share many of their views. It is just that I do not agree with some of their methods. Apparently Emmeline Pankhurst has been imprisoned again. I would hate for you to end up in a similar situation. So, please be careful. Enough, I will not say another word on the matter.

I am excited to hear you have met a nice young man. Why do you tell me so little about him? I would love to meet him and hope you bring him home when you next visit.




Emma and Her Professor

Please write again soon and tell me all about your new friends and studies.

With much love,

Mummy.

-------- *** --------

1, Victoria Street,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dear Emma,

I have been worried about you. I haven’t received a letter for several months and you know how Edward never writes. Is all well with you? Please write and tell me all your news. I am especially eager to hear more about your young man.




Emma and her Professor Become Closer

Little is happening at home. Everyone is talking about the possibility of War. I fear for your Uncle George who is now in London and waiting for his next posting. When he last called he told me that war is certain. It is just a matter of time. I am glad that you and Edward are both safe at University.

I look forward to your next letter.

All my love,

Mummy.

-------- *** --------


1, Victoria Street,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dearest George,

I hope this letter reaches you before you leave for Africa. I am writing to beg a favour of you. Edward is talking about leaving University and joining the armed forces. Please would you speak with him before you leave? I know Edward will listen to you. All I ask is for him to finish his studies. If he then chooses to join the War then so be it.

All is well at home. Earnest is a regular visitor and I sometimes struggle to keep him at arm’s length.








Victoria and Earnest

I pray you may return safely from the troubles in Africa.

Your loving sister,

Victoria.

-------- *** --------

1, Victoria Street,
Homelands,
ENGLAND.

Dear George,

I thank you with all my heart for persuading Edward to stay at University. It was wonderful to see both my children graduate and Edward was delighted when you appeared for the ceremony. Although I regret you were injured in Africa, I am thankful it allowed our family some precious moments together. I am sending you some pictures from the graduation.












Emma and Edward Graduate


Emma and Edward are now back home. However, my worst fear has been realised; Edward has joined the army and leaves for training in one week’s time. So many sons and husbands have already been lost in this dreadful War. I can only pray that Edward will return home safely.

I have further news for you. It is good news but I have saved it for last as I am not sure how you will react. As you know, Cyd was one of the many to fall during the Battle of the Somme. I can not say that I miss him but am sad that he and the children were never reconciled. Nevertheless, Cyd’s death freed me to follow my heart and the day before my 60th Birthday Earnest and I were married.




Edward Plays the Piano at the Ceremony




The Vows



The Guests



Victoria and Earnest



Emma Congratulates her Mother

I am sorry you could not join us on our special day. This miserable War has torn apart too many families and I continue to pray for your safe return home.

Your Loving Sister,

Victoria.

-------- *** --------

Some historical notes:

Queen Victoria died in 1901 and was succeeded by Edward VII. However, I have jumped the Edwardian period and moved forward in time to the reign of King George V (1910 - 1936).

World War I, also known as the Great War, occurred between 1914 and 1918. Early fighting took place in Africa bewen the various colonies. Later, many significant battles took place in Somme in France. The largest battle of all was "The Battle of The Somme", which happened in 1916 and saw more than 1 million casualties.

The next chapters will be set in the 1920s and 1930s.



Contents Next

5 comments:

Infinity-Nevermore said...

An interesting storyline and a history lesson all in one! And I hate history. Thanks for making it interesting. Emma is pretty, and she's involved with a professor?? I'm assuming that Victoria has no idea. Kinda glad your Cyd is dead, and Victoria got to move on with Earnest. My Cyd is a lot better than that one. Good luck with Edward.

Twoyys4me said...

Great update- I love how you tied the story in with world events, and there was a lot of reading-between-the-lines going on!

Shame that Cyd was a casualty of war, but great that Victoria was finally free to marry Earnest. (Beautiful dress she wore at her wedding).

Congrats to Edward and Emma on their graduations... hope we learn more about her Professor next time. :)

ASimWen said...

Awww! *sniff sniff* I am so glad Victoria and Earnest finally was able to have a life together. :) Some men are worth waiting a lifetime for. Look forward to seeing Emma's life.

Kerry said...

Oh, what a sweet wedding! Thanks for clearing up the timeline--I was a little confused by Emma's flapper dress and haircut, now I understand. I'll bet Victoria won't be pleased when she finds out about the professor. Or, maybe she'll just be too taken up with her Earnest to mind. I hope that Edward is safe at the Front.

Ziese52 said...

You put such great detail into your story. It's so nice! Yay Cyd is dead! Wait, I mean Victoria can remarry, hurray!!!